Welcome to my crazy life

Just a quick welcome from me to you and a thank you for reading and following along on the crazy road which I call my life. Here you will be able to follow along the ups and downs of our little family's life and adventures as we grow, learn and travel. Plus I will give up some advice on things I have done that seemed to have helped with getting my daughter and son to learn different functions, from sleeping through the night to eating all her food and beyond. Also if you have a question please feel free to leave it in a comment and I will happily make a post just to answer your question. Also keep a look out for new and old product reviews as well as special events. Here's to the family life and to a crazy adventure.

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Working out with bad knees

So I know many of you know about my infamous knee problems and that since my husband has deployed that not only does my right knee fall apart from time to time but my left knee has decided to join the game and fall apart when ever it feels like it (normally when I don't want it to) as this fun game goes I have 2 knee braces to wear on bad days or when they decide to fall apart on me so that I can keep going.  You may be asking why is she giving us this little back story but its important to understand that I have a issue before I go on.

So down to the point: when you have bad knees your exercising routine has to be flexible so I find different low impact ways of working out and really pay attention to placement when I have to do anything that requires squatting. 

So if you are like me and want to lose weight and work out there are a few simple rules to follow to avoid a full blow out. Watch your foot placement and when needing to do any form of squatting or lunging make sure you keep your leg straight and by all means do not let your knee fall in or out depending on injury.  If your knee is sore take a night off and work on core stuff that doesn't require you using your knees. When possible and necessary chose to do the less impact form of the workout instead of the full workout, as long as you are getting that heart rate up and staying up for the same amount of time you will still be losing weight or building muscle. Also something I found to work better than doing the same workout every day, which gets boring and when something gets boring you tend to not put your all into it which will lead to injury if you are not careful, is to mix up the workout, maybe do your in home work out a few times then get outside and go for a long walk around your neighborhood or on the boardwalk, or some where different to help spice up that workout.  If you have a reliable baby sitter try getting to the gym for some weight training or again just some different surroundings.

The number one rule I follow when working out is to not push my knees too hard.  I do at the most 60 minute workouts a day and when my knees start hurting I don't workout hard until they feel better.  Injury happens for me when I just keep pushing, even when my knees are screaming at me for a rest, so this time around I am listening and allowing for rest.  I have had a few scares while working out already where my knee has started to fall out but I have been able to correct it and keep it from getting too bad with wearing my brace and resting it.  I encourage those with knee issues to look at the reason behind the issue and to make the necessary changes that will allow them to work out or at least get out and walk or run again.  I know part of my knee problem was that my weight had gotten up there and my knees couldn't take it and am already seeing an improvement with them as my weight goes down.

Some of the workouts I do consist of low impact aerobics,  low step aerobics, low impact cardio, core sculpting, muscle sculpting(this is making lean strong muscle not bulk), stretching, a little yoga, and a little walking outside.  This plus taking the NV diet pill and cutting back on how much and what I have been eating has helped me already drop almost 20 pounds. So if I can do this you can do this because I am a foody, I love to eat and I don't like to have to limit what I am eating, but with careful watch and cut back on the amount of food I am doing great.  I eat what I want to eat but I have cut back on portion size big time.  The funny part is that I am not hungry, I have more energy (which is a miracle since I don't get a whole lot of sleep anymore) and I am constantly on my feet all day with the kids.  So, if you are just starting your transformation to a slimmer you or you are at your breaking point in trying to find something that works, try my way, you might be pleasantly surprised at the outcome.

One more bit of inspiration, in January I was in a XL shirt and now I am in a Medium top.  Also I was in a size 14 and now I am in a size 10 for bottoms.    I am not afraid to say my sizes or even my weight because its not been super easy or easy at all but I worked hard for it and though I still have a ways to go before I hit my ideal weight, I am proud of the work I have done and happy to share it with you in hopes that everyone will start taking the steps to having a healthier life. 

Remember one step at a time, a good diet and workout schedule must be built on not jumped into so take it one day and step at a time.  I started with just working on portion control then added the workout and finally add the NV pill.  Better to take your time and do it right than speed through it and not have it work at all.

Good luck out there and if you have any questions about what other products I use, workout DVDS and equipment just leave me a comment I am happy to help.

No comments: